Sunday, February 28, 2010

Virtually in the Classroom


After reading "Learning in Second Life: Virtual Education" and "Augmented Reality vs. Virtual Reality: Which one is More Real?", and considering the fact that I'm a college student who is majoring in Business, let's just say I have mixed feelings about virtual education.

I am aware that many universities embrace online courses and web-based systems like Blackboard to increase revenue while promoting distance learning. But take it a step further...try to visualize virtual education. Don't get me wrong, from an educational and business viewpoint, I thing its a great idea. For instance, the recent blizzards and snowstorms we experienced this winter; with virtual education professors would not have to worry about rescheduling class materials or sessions.

But from a student's point of view or my opinion, I would hate virtual education. If I'm at home, I want to relax and spend time with my family or friends and not have to worry about school. I want to sleep in late, play in the snow or do whatever it is that I felt like doing at the time. Again, don't get me wrong here because I value online classes. At least if or when I registered for the class I knew it was going to be virtual. But if I had to make a conscious decision about registering for a traditional or virtual class....guess which one I'm picking?

3 comments:

  1. It is difficult to draw the line between work and play as it requires a lot of discipline. Not everything can be experienced online. Individuals can only get a sense rather than the real feel. Some examples include feeling the heat from an exploding volcano and disecting insects and animals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have took an online class via blackboard this summer and it was a good experience but I agree with you and prefer going to class and interacting with others over having discussions on a discussion board on blackboard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I would be able to take an online class, let alone a virtual one. i would feel to distracted to learn and instead would tweek around the functions offered by Second Life.

    ReplyDelete