Sunday, February 14, 2010

MoSoSo

After a not so welcoming winter break, I'm more tired than ever. I'm actually surprising myself because I had no idea that I could write a blog with one eye open while my brain is somewhat half asleep (some skills huh?). Anyway, let's get down to business before my other eye decides to close. So for this week I read "Thumb Novels: Mobile Phone Fiction" and "Students' new best friend: 'MoSoSo'".

MoSoSo or Mobile Social Networking Software is considered the next big consumer technology shift because these technologies nowadays are so addictive. Its so addictive that we spend more time on cyber-social networks, texting and tweeting, sending photos, watching television and playing games instead of simply talking on the phone.

Despite its success and popularity in the US, Twitter is struggling in Japan. The Japanese youngsters prefer mobile-phone fiction (Keitai shosetsu) rather than texting or updating their social networking profiles. At first, I experienced culture shock just by reading the article. But after learning that their commute averages 2 hours and most youngster don't have a PC, I can understand their passion for reading short-stories via their mobiles.

I appreciate the culture difference between the US and Japan even though we both use our mobiles frequently for other activities rather than talking. And though its a small similarity, I doubt that Keitai shosetsu phenomenon would ever become popular in the west. What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. I don't think that Keitai shosetsu phenomenon would become popular in the US either, people in the US don't like to read extensively on their phones, maybe it could work if they could write stories for the kindle or any other electronic reader.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, the US is a lot different than the Japanese so I think it would take a lot for phones to act the same as a computer. I think computers have become even more ingrained into our society that its going to take a while before phones can counteract that influence.

    ReplyDelete