Sunday, March 28, 2010

How to link job hunting & social networking

This week I read "The Blog is the New Resume" and "Social Networking has its perks". These articles were very enlightening because I never saw the blog as a resume. But after reading the article I understand why employers would consider the blog a resume. I always thought that blogging was a hobby or something to do with your free time. But then I learned that your blog is a representation of who you are, because it is an unedited version of yourself and it mirrors your thoughts and opinions.

However, I disagree with the second article with respect to if people "want to find a job they should get out from behind their computer". When it comes to job hunting, we need to be creative because competition is high and I think using the computer may actually be an asset in finding a job. For example, having an online presence that is presented in a professional manner, like having a LinkedIn account.

But what I found intriguing, was that the same article suggested using Facebook to market yourself in such a way that makes you appear valuable to potential employers. Though the article acknowledged that Facebook discourages this practice, it suggests that one way to avoid mixing your personal and professional presence would be to have two separate profiles. Now, my question to you is 'do you think this is effective?'

5 comments:

  1. I never thought of a blog as a resume until now...it makes me wonder if employers will start asking for blog urls to be included in resumes.

    I think that in order to make facebook an effective tool for job search it would be necessary to make 2 separate profiles unless your personal profile is already squeaky clean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel that no virtual interaction can totally replace in-person communication. However, online communication can be used by recruiters to screen out unqualified candidates, thus making the recruiting process more efficient. Once potential new hires have been identified, face-to-face interview or video conference would allow them to put a face to a name, prior to the actual job offers.

    I think it is effective to keep professional and personal profile separate, and use settings to control what others can see in our personal profile. Technically, our professional and personal life can be very different and having some privacy would be nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard that having Facebook can help you get a job. I feel its the first thing employers look for to NOT hire you. Social medias=future killer

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think having a Facebook account hinders anyone from potential job opportunities. It all depends on what is being publish on the account is what really matters. For example, my memory is a bit fuzzy about a past incident that took place with a female government official who posted pictures of her in her bikini on her MySpace account. She was ridiculed for it, and in her defense she said that her MySpace account was her space on the web and it was personal and private, and separate from her professional work life. I'm not sure how it was private since her profile was public to the web.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Samantha above. The internet is a great way to save time by screening out people who are not qualified. Granted more people are applying it is a lot easier to screen them out online then having them come in for an interview. Once you get through preliminary screening you can then do a face to face meeting to solidify any potential questions.

    ReplyDelete