Sunday, January 31, 2010

Blogs don't kill culture, bloggers kill culture!

After reading "Nobel Laureate Says The Internet Makes Us Dumb, We Say: Meh" and "The Digital Emperor Has No Clothes", I became somewhat disappointed.

According to Lessing, "we live in a fragmenting culture where people read nothing and know nothing of the world". Personally, I am offended and I disagree. Yes, I confess that I am one of those individuals who prefers anything digital over paper based because we waste nothing and gain more for our environment. However, I may be a bit obsessed with facebooking with my peers or following celebrities on twitter but that does not mean that's all I use the Internet for. Yes, my free-time activities include listening to music on Pandora and playing a few games on Facebook. But I am also a senior in college. Therefore, I use wikis, blogs and other means of social media to distribute and acquire information, as well as to market myself.

Additionally, I was offended that Lessing generalized all techno-savvy individuals. Yes, I do acknowledge that some individuals do nothing more than play games online, check email and listen to music. But there are those individuals that only use the Internet for reading the news while acquiring other valuable information. And then there are those like myself who uses the Internet for both academic and pleasure purposes.

I am not sure if any of my readers agree or disagree with me, but I have question for you...Do you agree with the statement "Blogs don't kill culture; bloggers kill culture"?

4 comments:

  1. Patricia, I also prefer anything digital over paper...GO GREEN! I think Lessing is someone who is opposed to change and likes how things used to be so she decided to associate the internet as something negative. I'm not sure if I agree that bloggers kill culture but with so many people putting time into blogging I can see where your coming from. If people spent less time blogging and more time being proactive I think the world would be better off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome title!
    I prefer paper when it comes to reading a book. articles and news is fine on screen, but books are a different story.
    I believe bloggers question culture. Bloggers provide and alternative view that may seem taboo or sensitive that scholarly writers would dare not write about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the statement "Blogs don't kill culture; bloggers kill culture". The Internet is powerful but dangerous. The idea behind the blog is great as it enables individuals to collaborate and communicate information efficiently. However, the content on the blog might be a problem as some individuals may not be able to tell the credibility the information provided. Especially when people don't share their positive experiences, but instead complain about their negatve experiences. For example, if someone researched on tonsil removal and found nothing but horrifying experiences, he or she may decide not to get it done. Thus, information presented may be far from the truth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think its hard to say that bloggers kill culture. Since there are so many bloggers out there, there are in turn so many sides that can be chosen. Sure some bloggers have written things that may seem like they kill culture but others are bringing new light to topics and enriching them.

    ReplyDelete